A toothache can be a major pain- literally. Our team at Northern Horizon Dental Barrie takes you through the steps you should take if you are experiencing a toothache in this blog post.
Causes of a Toothache
Depending on your symptoms, their duration, and severity, your toothache could be caused by a variety of factors. Some of the most common reasons that people end up seeking toothache treatment in Barrie include:
- Untreated cavities
- Periodontal disease
- Teeth clenching and grinding
- Cracked or abscessed teeth
- Sinus infections
- Impacted teeth
- Gum recession
- Improper use of whitening products
When you notice pain in your tooth, keep a record of the pain and note your level of discomfort on a scale of 1 – 10, possible triggers, and how long your discomfort lasts. If you can notice a pattern, it will be easier for our dentist near you to help you pinpoint the cause of your toothache.
How Long Do Toothaches Last?
Any kind of toothache that is caused by diseases such as a dental abscess or tooth decay will last until the nerve of the tooth dies. If your toothache is due to something like a whitening toothpaste or a sinus infection, the symptoms are easily reversed within a few weeks.
Any pain that interferes with your daily activities, such as eating, drinking, or being able to work, indicates that something significant is occurring. Please do not wait to visit our dentist in Barrie in the hopes that your pain will ease on its own. Toothaches that are related to decay or abscesses will only worsen with time if not promptly addressed.
How to Get Rid of a Toothache
If you have a persistent toothache, you should:
- Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication to aid with pain and inflammation as long as you are medically cleared to do so
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water to alleviate any swelling
- Brush and floss around your tooth to see if there is anything stuck under your gums
- Check your oral hygiene products- if you are using any whitening products, stop using them for a few days and see if your pain subsides
- If you have allergies or sinus problems, try to treat those conditions with the appropriate medications
If none of the above is working to alleviate your pain, book an appointment for toothache treatment near you as soon as possible. Our dentist at Northern Horizon Dental Barrie will be able to work with you to evaluate your symptoms, determine the cause of your pain, and provide you with a personalized treatment plan. Call our office right away if you:
- Are in severe pain
- Cannot speak, eat or drink
- Are unable to go to school or work
- Can see damage to your tooth, such as a crack or chip
- Experience pain for longer than a few days
At Northern Horizon Dental Barrie, our team of dedicated dental professionals offers same-day emergency dental visits to help our patients get the toothache relief that they need. We are happy to accommodate your needs and get your pain under control as efficiently and quickly as possible. Together, our team will help you create a care plan that fits your specific needs. If you are experiencing chronic tooth pain, don’t suffer in silence. Please do not hesitate to contact our clinic and book an appointment today.