Dental implants are a relatively new technological advancement in the world of dentistry. If you need to replace one or more teeth, there are some great reasons to consider dental implants, particularly if you have a significant number of healthy teeth.
Traditionally, dentures have been the replacement for lost teeth. While dentures are certainly better than having no teeth at all, there are some significant disadvantages to dentures, particularly if you are young:
- Dentures do not keep your jaw bone from weakening over time.
- Dentures can slip when you are eating or talking.
- Dentures require adhesives to keep them in your mouth and extra cleaning.
- Dentures only last 5 to 7 years and then you must get new ones.
Dental implants have two parts. One part is a titanium stud that is anchored in your jaw.Your dentist will place a crown on this stud, creating a permanent replacement for your lost tooth. The crown can be matched in colour to your other teeth. Here are the advantages of dental implants:
- Dental implants do keep your jaw bone strong.
- Dental implants allow you to eat and talk as you always have.
- No adhesives are needed and no special cleaning beyond brushing and flossing is required.
- Dental implants are designed to last the rest of your life with proper care.
While the initial cost of dental implants is significant, the long-term benefits make the investment well worth it for most patients. Dental implants allow you to regain your dental health and do not limit what you eat. For permanent teeth replacement, consider dental implants.