There are many options for at-home teeth whitening. You can use toothpastes, mouth rinses, whitening trays or strips. These at-home options are significantly cheaper than professional teeth whitening. Even with the cost differential, there are some very good reasons to turn to a professional the next time you want to get your teeth whiter.
Here are a few of the reasons you want professional teeth whitening:
- The conditions are monitored making it safer and less likely to cause sensitivity issues.
- It is a pain-free procedure.
- Because whitening is done in a controlled environment, you can use a higher concentration of bleaching gel, which means that you can get more dramatic immediate results.
- It is the fastest and safest way to get your teeth whiter.
- New improvements reduce the likelihood of increased tooth sensitivity are used. The bleaching gels are thicker, which means they don’t get absorbed by your teeth as much. Also, desensitizers are added directly to the gel.
Even with improvements, teeth whitening success is not always possible and the results are not permanent. The results are always affected by the type of staining you have, your heredity and your age. Teeth whitening works reasonably well for stains caused by tobacco use, age and foods, like red wine and coffee. If your staining is caused by trauma, tetracycline antibiotics, or fluoride overexposure, it probably will have limited success. If you want to know more, please reach out to our office.